Why and How to Recycle Your Old Computer
Computers and computer accessories such as printers are made from valuable resources and materials, including metals, plastics, and glass, all of which require energy to mine and manufacture. Donating or recycling consumer electronics conserves our natural resources and avoids air and water pollution, as well as greenhouse gas emissions that are caused by manufacturing virgin materials.
- Recycling one million laptops saves the energy equivalent to the electricity used by more than 3,500 US homes in a year.
- For every million cell phones we recycle, 35 thousand pounds of copper, 772 pounds of silver, 75 pounds of gold, and 33 pounds of palladium can be recovered.
How to Prepare Your Computers for Recycle
- Delete all personal information, if you drop off your equipment at MaxTEK Solutions we can ensure your data is erased.
- Remove any batteries from your electronics, they may need to be recycled separately.
What We Can Recycle for You
- Computers, any type (desktops, laptops, PCs and Macs)
- Monitors (CRT & LCD)
- Keyboards and mice
- External drives
- Tape drives
- Battery backup (UPS or power supply)
- Miscellaneous Computer or Network Cables
Where to Donate or Recycle
- We can recycle your equipment for you. Just drop off your unwanted equipment at our location, 7682 49th St N Pinellas Park, FL 33781. We can also pick up your unwanted equipment for a small charge.
- Big electronic retailers such as Best Buy, Office Depot, and Staples also offer in-store recycling.
- If you live in Pinellas, drop it off at a Pinellas County Mobile Collection center [link to more info and locations, PDF file].